H. A. I. Goonetileke
This list of readings on the modern act movement known as the ‘43 Group is confined to books and articles in established journals. It is not intended to be exhaustive, but has been compiled to suit the purposes of the present work. Newspaper articles and reviews, catalogues of the thirteen Group exhibitions between November 1943 and February 1967, as well as the numerous catalogues of the exhibitions of individual artists in Sri Lanka and abroad have been excluded. These contain introductions, prefaces, essays, notes, and relevant information on the Group and artists concerned but are too unwieldy and inappropriate a mass of material for inclusion in this concise bibliography. The essential bibliographical data are provided for each item, and the arrangement is alphabetical by author or title. Reasons of space and the time factor precluded annotation. Titles of books and journals are italicised.
- ARAEEN, Rasheed. In memoriam of Ivan Peries, 1921-1988. Third Text (London). No. 2, Winter 1987 - ‘88, p. 76.
- ARCHER, William G. Art and romance, George Keyt. India and Modern Art. London: Allen & Unwin. 1959. Ch. 7. pp. 116-135. illus.
- An artist at work (Richard Gabriel); by Narcissus. Ceylon Observer Pictorial 1965. 4 p., illus.
- BANDARANA YAKE, Senake. Ivan Peries: (paintings 1939-1969). The predicament of the bourgeois artist in the societies of the Third World. Third Text. Third World Perspectives in Contemporary Art and Culture. (London) No. 2. Winter, 1987 - ‘88. pp. 77-92. 2 illus.
- BERGER, John. Daraniyagala. Times of Ceylon Annual 1954. 8 p., illus. repr. Tourists’ Ceylon (Colombo) Vol. 1. No. 4, May 1968. pp. 14-17, illus.
- BUTCHER, G. M. Ceylon: a painters’ country. Art News and Review (London). Vol. 12. No. 26. 1960, pp. 2. 5.
- Contemporary artists. Marg. A Magazine of Architecture and Art (Bombay). Vol. 5, No. 3, 1952. pp 52-77, illus. A compendium of individual assessments of the nine principal founder-artists of the ‘43 Group.
- DERANIYAGALA. Ranil. Justin Daraniyagala 1903-1967. Times of Ceylon Annual 1968. 19 p., illus.
- DHARMASIRI. Albert. Harry Pieris in retrospect. Tribune (Colombo). Vol. 28. Nos. 40 & 41. November 17 & 24. 1984: pp 6-7.
- DHARMASIRI, Albert. The art of Ivan Peries. Tribune (Colombo). Vol. 27, No. 52, October 15, 1983, pp. 5-6.
- DHARMASIRI. Albert. Modern Art in Sri Lanka. The Anton Wickremasinghe Collection. Colombo: Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd., 1988, 80 pp., 52 col. illus.
- DISSANAYAKE, Ellen. Ceylon’s ‘43 Group of painters. Arts of Asia (Hong Kong). Vol. 16, No 2. March-April 1986. pp. 61-67, illus.
- DISSANAYAKE, Ellen. George Keyt: breaking with tradition. Orientations (Hong Kong). Vol. 7, No. 7. July 1976. pp. 32-43. illus.
- DISSANA YAKE, S. B. George Keyt. Reflections in a painted mirror. Tribune (Colombo). Vol. 28, No. 24, April 28, 1984, pp. 5-7.
- FERNANDO, Ranjit. Painting in Ceylon: a continuing tradition. Studio (London). Vol. 158. No. 799. November 1959, pp. 107-111. illus.; repr. Times of Ceylon Annual 1959. 2 p., illus.: Arts and Letters (London). Vol. 35, No. 2. 1961. pp 27-31. illus.
- ‘43 Group, Ceylon. Report on the activities of the ‘43 Group in Europe 1952-1954. Colombo: Secretary ‘43 Group, 1956. 37p. (Mimeographed text).
An account of the various exhibitions of the collective or individual artists held in the period under review, with reproductions of forewords, prefaces, and introductions to catalogues and a collection of reviews by art critics reprinted from journals and newspapers.
- ‘43 Group. Modern Art in Sri Lanka, the ‘43 Group. Colombo: The George Keyt Foundation; the Sapumal Foundation: and the Lionel Wendt Memorial Fund, 1991. 44 p., illus.
A special catalogue of an exhibition of paintings and drawings of the nine founder members in honour of George Keyt’s 90th birthday on April 17, 1991. There are critical biographical sketches of each artist by various hands.
- GOONASEKERA. Sunil. George Keyt. Interpretations. Kandy: Institute of Fundamental Studies, Sri Lanka. 1991. xiii, 160 p., 75 plates (mostly col.).
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. George Keyt: the Indian ethos in a Ceylonese studio. Arts of Asia (Hong Kong). Vol. 3. No. 1. January - February 1973, pp. 16-23. illus.
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. George Keyt at 83. Lanka Guardian (Colombo). Vol. 7. No. 2. May 15. 1984. p. 16.
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. editor. George Claessen Drawings. Colombo: Jataka. 1946. 24 p., 20 plates. (Foreword by Arthur van Langenberg).
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. George Keyt. A Life in Art. With a biobibliography of the artist. 1923 – 1988. Colombo: The George Keyt Foundation. 1989. 41 p., 4 col. plates, front.(port.)
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. George Keyt Drawings. edited, with an introduction and a descriptive catalogue. Colombo: The George Keyt Foundation. 1990. xxviii. 91 p., 236 illus., front. (col. port.)
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. Harry Pieris – a life in art. Lanka Guardian Vol. 11. No. I. May 01. 1988. pp. 49-50.
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. Harry Pieris – an art of life. Lanka Guardian Vol. 11. No. 5. July 01. 1988. p 28.
- GOONETILEKE. H. A. I. Ivan Peries – an appreciation. Lanka Guardian. Vol. 10. No. 21, March 01, 1988. p 21.
- GOONETILLEKE. L. P. Art in Ceylon. ‘43 Group and the contemporary scene. Ceylon Fortnightly Review. Vol. 5. No. 16. December 05. 1952. pp. 3-5.
- GOONETILLEKE. L. P. Daraniyagala: Ceylonese expressionist. Artasia. Vol. 1. No. 2. Spring 1966, pp. 31-35. illus.
- GRAHAM, William. Contemporary painting in Ceylon: the ‘43 Group. Studio. Vol. 147. No. 731. February 1959. pp. 46-51. illus.
- GUNAWARDHANA. Tilak. Art – between early Amarasekera and recent George Keyt. Lanka Guardian. Vol. 7. No. 14. November 15. 1984. pp. 23-24: Vol. 7. No. 15. December 01. 1984. pp. 20 – 21.
- HALPE. Ashley. editor. George Keyt. A Felicitation Volume. Colombo: George Keyt Felicitation Committee, 1977. 125 p., 41 col. plates, 52 illus., col. front., port.
A volume produced to mark the 75th birthday of Keyt, containing a symposium of articles by critics, a biographical sketch, poems and essays by the artist, a bibliography, and profusely illustrated.
- HALPE. Ashley. Painting and sculpture. Sri Lanka: a survey; edited by K. M. de Silva. London: C. Hurst. 1977. Pt. 4. Ch. 18. pp. 460-465.
- Harry Pieris. Colombo: the Sapumal Foundation, 1984. 24 p., 12 plates (2 col.).
A publication to celebrate the occasion of the artist’s 80th birthday, containing appreciations by five friends – L. C. van Geyzel. Ivan Peries, Margaret Gooneratne. Ellen Dissanayake and Carmel Raffel.
- HOLT, William. George Keyt. Marg Vol. 7, No. 3, 1954, pp. 37-40. illus.
- JAYAWARDENE, Sita. The Anton Wickremasinghe Collection; with notes on Ceylon art, artists and the paintings. Times of Ceylon Annual 1967. 7 p., illus.
- KEENE, Ralph. The art of Ceylon. Encounter. Vol. 3, No. 5, November 1954. pp. 54-56.
- McCLELLAND. Donald R. The paintings and drawings of Justin Pieris Daraniyagala. Ceylon Today (Colombo). Vol. 18. Nos. 3-4. March - April 1969, pp. 28-30, illus.
- MOHAN. Jag. The modern movement in Sinhalese art. Marg Vol. 5, No. 3, 1952. pp. 59-61.
- PAYNTER. David. Art and craftsmanship. New Lanka (Colombo). Vol. 2. No. 1. October 1950. pp. 32-37.
- PEIRIS. Denzil. George Keyt: on a spree with a faun. Tourists’ Ceylon. Vol. 1. No. 3. February 1968. pp. 13-17. illus.
- RODRIGO. Nihal. Fifty-six years of the art of George Keyt. Reflections on a retrospective. Lanka Guardian. Vol. 6. No. 2. 1983, pp. 11-14.
- RUSSELL. Martin. George Keyt. Introduction and biographical note. Bombay: Marg Publications. 1950, 101 plates (some col.). 8 illus., col. front.
- RUSSELL. Martin. The ‘43 Group’s tenth anniversary. Times of Ceylon Annual. 1953. 4 p., illus.
- RUSSELL. Martin. The work of George Keyt: a personal impression. Marg Vol. 1. No. 3, 1947. pp. 44-45. 79.
- SHIVESHWARKAR. Leela. George Keyt – a personal impression. Silpi (Madras). Vol. 3. No. 5, December 1948. pp. 194- 195, 2 illus.
- VAN GEYZEL. L. C. Art in Ceylon. New Lanka. Vol. 6. No. 4, July 1955. pp. 8-19.
- VAN GEYZEL. L. C. Lionel Wendt. 1900-1944. Lionel Wendt’s Ceylon. London: Lincolns-Prager Publishers Ltd. 1950. Introduction. pp. 11-14.
- VAN GEYZEL, L. C. The painting of George Keyt. Marg Vol. 1. No. 3, 1947, pp. 43-65, illus.
- WEERERATNE. Neville. Daraniyagala. Community (Colombo) Vol. 1. No. 4. January 1955. pp. 253-257. illus.
- WEERERATNE. Neville. Richard Gabriel: an outstanding artist. Ceylon Observer Pictorial 1967. 3 p., illus., repr. Tourists’ Ceylon Vol. 2, No. 1. August 1968. pp. 50-55. illus.
- WEERERATNE, Neville. The ‘orphan’ painters of Ceylon. Sankha (Colombo) No. 2, September 1958, pp. 27-32. illus.
- WENDT. Lionel. Charles Freegrove Winzer. Ceylon Observer Pictorial 1940. 7 p., illus.
- WINZER. Charles Freegrove. The modern development of art in Ceylon. Creative Art. A magazine of Fine and Applied Art (New York). Vol. 3, January 1931. pp. 62-63, illus.